January 11, 2012

Nutrition + Fitness Confessions 2012: Day 10...


Well...ho hum, it's day 10 into the new year and I haven't stepped foot in a gym or exercise class. To give myself a slight break on this, I will say - I did not feel well for a few days after coming home from Mexico. But now I'm feeling great and ready to get into a routine. Bar method? Cross-fit? Treadmill? What will it be? I'm going to test out my local spots and see what gets me pumped! 


As for the nutritional aspect of attempting to become more healthy this year - there is a long list. I'm happy to report I have not eaten any red meat (one small step), and I've weened myself off of drinking coffee everyday*. My family history consists of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, thyroid...you name it - so at the young age of 35 I know it's wise to pay attention to my health a little more closely. I decided to cut back on red meat - which means, I am actually giving it up cold for a few months to set the stage. Secondly, I never need caffeine - I have ALOT of energy. But, work wipes me out, and in the winter I'm certain I get S.A.D - seasonal affective disorder (which partly makes me laugh, but partly believe is real;) Not to mention, my bf makes the best coffee - that little trifecta is the perfect combination for setting me up to become sluggish every morning due to a coffee addiction I have recently acquired. AND, I was headed that way for life - for the past few months, it was a cup of coffee at home in the morning with the bf, off to work, and a tall non-fat latte with one pump of hazelnut at Starbucks. While that is a mouthful to say, it was a cup of pure yumminess. So Day 10, no morning coffee! Success. I will allow myself a weekend ritual now and then or an afternoon decaf for the taste, but I'm back to my perky morning self after only two weeks of laying off the coffee beans. The rest will come...and recipes will follow on the blog as I discuss my little health and wellness journey this year. My theme is - it's the small things, little strides and steps to keep you on the path. {images via pinterest}


*My Substitues: NO MEAT - Turkey, Pork, Chicken, Fish! NO COFFEE - Green Tea (decaf), Hot water w/lemon, honey and cinnamon.  

5 comments:

Nikki Fein said...

Can't do the red meat thing, but am trying to ween myself off the everyday coffee habit. Think it was more of a ritual for me, now I have a cup every few days and I don't miss it yet.....good luck.

Liz said...

loved this post! it really is the small things. I gave up red meat (and pork, too, actually) about five years ago and have never looked back. High cholesterol/stroke run in my family and I wasn't a HUGE meat eater anyways, so I eliminated it. My cholesterol came way down, which was awesome.

The coffee thing... Unfortunately, not only do I like coffee, but I really do need it. I'm a total wreck if I don't have coffee in the morning! I'm sure I could ween myself off.. but I actually love it SO much, I don't think I want to... You've definitely made me think about it, though :)

Jill GG said...

We finally got a Bar Method in my town - I'm so excited to try it! Otherwise I just hit the gym like usual.

A great way to start the New Year would be a cleanse, I can highly recommend the Rooted Wellbeing cleanse (I think it is rootedwellbeing.com) you will feel AMAZING when you are done and totally ready to tackle your nutrition goals for 2012. I did one last spring and will probably do another one this spring as well.

Best wishes on your goals! You will be so glad you made changes! Go for it!

Keri said...

Good luck with all your goals! I too have a long family history of diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer.... so I think its important to be conscious of what we put in our bodies. Have you talked to your doctor about vitamin D supplements in the winter to help with S.A.D. ? Might be worth checking into, I know I feel much better when I am supplementing vitamin D.

Sarah Klassen said...

Sounds like you are off to a wonderful start!

I applaud you on the coffee—my goodness, it runs through and through with the French side, and so I fear I am unable to control myself :) (or at least that is the excuse I am sticking with!) Also, it's a great idea to stay away from certain meats—it's amazing how adjustments like these can be really good for our health... as for the exercise, you can go it! One thing at a time, and you are doing so well!

I look forward to more of your wellness journey...

x
Sarah